Retired Teachers’ Association
The Association of Retired Teachers is an organisation formed in 2004 to provide a forum for the retired teachers to meet and interact with one another. A teacher who has served the institution during any period of service is entitled to become a member. The retired members felt a great need to meet their friends and continue to keep some contact with the college where they had spent the major part of their life .The idea of the formation of an association which would realise the dreams of the retired teachers was put forward by the Former Principal Prof.N Sathi. Under her guidance a team of teachers including Prof M. R Saraswati and Prof. S Sulabha took the initiative in forming the association which came into being with the first meeting held on 2004.
The Principal of the college is the patron of the Association. The Association functions under the guidance of the President and the Vice President who are elected in the General body meeting held in January every year. The Secretary, Joint Secretary and Treasurer are also elected to carry out the day to day activities of the Association. The Executive Committee of 25 members and an Advisory Committee of retired Principals are there to help the smooth functioning of the Association.
The executive committee is held in the college on the first Saturday of every month. The association mainly concerns itself with the well-being and the promotion of the interests of the members. It includes "Sneha Sangamams" once in three or four months. Members come together and share their joys and sorrows. Their children and grandchildren also participate in the meetings providing colour and air of festivity to the occasions.
A minimum of two picnics are conducted every year and the members enjoy the relaxation and amusement they provide. Two landmark celebrations of the association are Onam, Christmas and New year. Onam is celebrated in the traditional manner with the coming of Mahabali giving of Onappudava, Onappattu and Onasadya. Cake and wine is an unavoidable part of our Christmas - New year feast.
Our Activity Log
- Every year the students who secure ranks at the University level are congratulated and are given cash awards.
- We conduct essay competitions for the students on relevant social issues and the winners are given cash prizes
- We cooperate with the college in providing noon meals for the financially backward students
- The members contributed liberally for the beautification of the verandahs of the oldest building in the campus where the institution had started functioning in 1951
- Dr Ambedkar memorial centre for the differently abled children has been adopted by the Association for special help. Every month members give financial assistance to the institution to provide food and clothing to the inmates
- The Association also offers financial help to the following charitable institutions which take care of the aged and the homeless.
- Shanthi Bhavan, Pathanapuram
- S S Samithy, Mayyanad
- Poor Home, Mundakkal ,Kollam
- A monthly named Spandanam is published regularly to inform the members of the latest activities of the association. Its 123rd issue was published in June 2015.
- Various Health Awareness Classes are conducted frequently:
- The famous Pulmonologist Dr Amir of KIMS Hospital Thiruvananthapuram, Dr Manu Raj, the Paediatric Cardiologist of Amrita Institute, Ernakulam and Dr. Purushothaman, Retired Surgeon, District Hospital Kollam delivered informative speeches on lifestyle diseases and gave tips on "How to Lead a Healthy Life in Old Age".
- Our members Prof Sathyadas and Prof. Ravichandran spoke on the role of "Spirituality in Reducing Stress". Dr Kusumam Bahuleyan spoke on the benefits of the regular practice of yoga in controlling diabetes and similar diseases.
- Older members of the association are honoured annually
- Members who secure meritorious achievements in various fields are honoured by the association
- Members attend the weddings, funerals and other social functions in the families of the members. An online group keeps the members informed of all the important events concerning the members.
- A pension clinic is run by Prof K Hareendran to solve the pension problems of the members. It works effectively to help the members to claim all the arrears due to them.
- To mark the 10th anniversary of the association, a grand function was conducted on 22nd May 2014, to which all retired teachers (members and non members) were invited. All the non members who attended the function were also honoured. The manager of the SN Trusts and the governing body members were present on the occasion and it added grandeur to the function
- A souvenir highlighting the activities of the association during the past ten years and a telephone directory of all the retired teachers of the college were published in connection with the decennial celebrations and it got wide acceptance. A copy of each publication was distributed to all the invitees. The event remains fresh in our minds giving inspiration to us to continue to work with renewed energy
It is our duty to acknowledge the assistance given to the association by the former principals and the present principal Dr Nisha J Tharayil. Ever since its inception in 2004 we have received liberal help from the principals who were in office. The present principal Dr Nisha J. Tharayil gives us unstinted support. She permits us to use the halls in the college for various programs. She attends the monthly executive meetings and offers advice and support and without her help the functioning of the association would have been difficult. We thankfully acknowledge our debt of gratitude to the patron and the teaching and non-teaching staffs of the college.